Top 5 Takeaways from Skillable’s Tech Skills Reality Check Webinar with Brandon Hall Group

Enhancing and improving digital skills is huge component of your organization’s success; yet, approximately half of businesses are positioned to improve skills development. According to Brandon Hall Group (BHG), the success of a business is dependent on how effectively employees can apply skills on the job. However, traditional training programs are only able to develop skills through knowledge assessments, a tactic that is only partially successful.

According to BHG, the most effective way to enhance employees’ technical skills development is through hands-on learning and is an important or critical method for 82% of organizations. Hands-on, scored assessments prove that employees can apply skills learned during training on the job which ultimately results in more effective skills development.

This subject was at the center of a recent webinar conducted by BHG and Skillable. Attendees were provided with a reality check by BHG’s Claude Werder and Skillable’s Frank Gartland regarding whether attendees’ existing skills development strategy is suited for today’s rapidly changing, fast-paced digital world.

A lot of great material was covered during the webinar, but below are the top five takeaways from the event.

1. The majority of skill shortages are caused by a lack of technical or practical skills.

BHG found that the majority of skill shortages (84%) are due to employees lacking the right technical or practical skills for specific job roles. Additional research found that a surprising one in 10 organizations feel they are doing an adequate job preparing their employees for on-the-job work. The remaining organizations struggle to properly identify skills needed for specific positions as well as implement a process to verify candidates’ skills.

Enter validated skills assessments. These tools verify skills by having employees complete certain objectives using their existing skill set. Based on the results, employers or hiring managers can determine whether an individual is qualified for the position or not, reducing the likelihood of bad hires.

2. Only 10% of organization's training supports demonstrable skill proficiency.

More simply, only 10% of organizations have a skills development strategy in place that verifies employees can put into practice what they’ve learned. The remaining 90% of organizations struggle with skills gaps/shortages, finding the right people for the right job at the right time and creating a strategy that allows for optimum skill development.

3. The biggest thing missing from training: hands-on experiences.

Hands-on learning tools such as sandboxes, step-by-step labs or performance testing while beneficial, don’t typically result in optimum skilling. Frank encourages organizations to move beyond PDFs and training videos and fully embrace hands-on virtual training labs. The tool is designed from real-world tools and applications where users must solve real-world problems, giving learners the invaluable hands-on practice they need.

4. There's a huge gap between learning importance and effectiveness.

According to BHG, 62% of L&D function is critical or important to business success; yet, only 22% of learning is delivered in a manner that drives results and are aligned with business objectives. Put more simply, less than one-fourth of surveyed businesses have both the training and technology in place to create more skilled employees that move business goals forward.

5. More than half of organizations don't have a formal process in place to evaluate training effectiveness.

Only 44% of businesses have a formal process in place that evaluates the effectiveness of their learning programs. The remaining 56% are essentially operating blind—using a training process that does not actively work towards business goals or  without proper knowledge of what’s needed to reach those goals. With a large percentage of businesses operating this way, it’s critical for organizations to take a different look at training.

 

That’s where hands-on, experiential learning comes in.

Assess. Develop. Validate—this is the future of skilling.

“Remember the whole purpose of training is to help people do their jobs,” Claude said. “We have to get past focusing on concepts, information and knowledge sharing—some of that is necessary, but if it’s not helping you create training that helps people do their jobs, it’s not working.”

Implementing hands-on, experiential learning provides organizations with the foundation needed to:

  1. Assess the current skillset of their workforce
  2. Create targeted training curriculums and courses designed from real-world scenarios that enhance skill development
  3. Continuously validate learners can apply skills to on-the-job tasks

 

Taking this approach drives organizations’ learning lifecycle in a unique, compelling way. 

Check out the webinar.

We’ve just scratched the surface of what was covered during this session. To watch the entire on-demand webinar, click below. Interested in learning more about hands on skilling? Visit skillable.com/call-request to request a call.

Ready to make your life easier?

The most common reaction when somebody sees a Skillable demo is “I didn’t know you can do that!”

Let’s make it happen for you and your team.